01 February 2012

9 days old...

... but who's counting? Really, I am. And I can't believe how the days just pass by.

We've had a lot of milestones over the last 9 days. Here's a few highlights:
  • On day 4 we went for our first pediatrician appointment and everything looked good.  They wanted to test her for jaundice so we spent about 2 hours in a lab waiting room for them to take blood from her heel.  It wouldn't have been so bad if we would have had a technician who knew what to do... he literally pricked her and then just held a tube there to catch the blood. Luckily, I had made friends with another technician the week before and she wanted to see Teagan. When she saw what the guy was doing, so told him to step aside and took over.  She massaged Teags foot and got the blood to come out much faster- I was so appreciative to her.  At the same appointment, the doc took a look at my legs because they were super swollen.  They decided that they wanted to do an ultrasound on my leg to rule out clotting.... this required that we spend another 2 hours at the radiology lab so that they could fit me in.  It was a super stressful day and I totally had a couple of crying-emotional breakdowns (out of frustration of being there, having to wait for so long, etc.), but thankfully Teags and I both came out clear of any sort of complications.  I have now purchased some compression stockings--- my dad assured me that my Memaw wears them though, so I am feeling pretty stylin'. 
  • We had our second doctor appointment for Teagan today and all is going well.  She continues to put on weight so I guess that means that our breastfeeding has been successful thus far!  
  • Teagan's umbilical cord fell off today, too!  It's a good thing too, because that thing was starting to smell foul. I mean really foul. The doctor said that it will still take a few days for the inner skin to get rough, but we are happy that she will no longer have that silly little thing hanging off of her. 
  • I spent 2 days this week alone with Teagan while Sean went back to school.  We were together all day until about 9PM and I think we did OK.  I am still trying to catch up on sleep and was actually able to take an hour nap during one of her naps yesterday.  Sometimes when I think about how tired I am though, it makes me a bit weepy.  The hormonal changes are no joke.  
  • I am starting to feel better physically... It's amazing how quickly the body can heal itself.  
  • I've been able to shower every day!! AND keep up with the laundry... These are pretty big accomplishments.
  • Teagan has the cutest cry.  When she's really going at it, she will squeak at the end.  This has earned her a couple of nicknames, including: squeakers and teagasaurus rex.
  • Today we went on our first walk outside with the stroller.  We took it slow and went to Starbucks and CVS.  She did really well and kept her eyes open most of the time, checking out the new light and sounds.  
  • We've had a handful of visitors, including Sean's law school buds and some of my work colleagues.  Everyone has been so sweet with her.  
OK that's it for now.  Not too exciting, I know.  More to come soon!