22 May 2011

becoming a book worm

This weekend was my first, alone, without Sean.  Given that he won't be back in DC until the end of July, I tried to get myself started on a routine that will keep me busy.  Even so, I miss him! Weekends are going to be tough.

Yesterday I went walking for about an hour and then hung out at Rock Creek Park to soak in some vitamin D. While I enjoyed the sunshine, I got pretty deep into one of the pregnancy books I've been reading.  It's crazy how much literature is out there, and how much advice people have to give.  Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful; I literally don't know much about what's supposed to happen and really appreciate being able to educate myself (without becoming too anxious about whether or not I am doing the right things or not). Thankfully, my sister just went through this too, so she has been great and letting me know what to expect. Here's a sneak at my current reading list:


These have been great so far. The Dummies book is a little outdated.  Sean bought it about 3 years ago at a book sale in Chicago for $7; we laughed at how perfect it was for us.  The Mother book is a really practical, step-by-step guide and provides a pretty objective presentation about what to expect.  Right now, I'm most engaged in the Feed book.  It's written by a nutritionist, and although she can be somewhat slanted at times, I really appreciate her direct approach about what foods pregnant women should be eating.  And instead of leaving the reader hanging about how to move forward with healthy eating habits, she's included a bunch of recipes for tasty meals that provide the nutrients you need.  The most practical help though, has been the list of things not to eat.  I had no idea that you had to watch out for certain foods during pregnancy!! (Note to self: probably should give the Dummies book another skim through.)

Anyway, today I've got to go buy some wheat germ. Sounds gross, huh? Apparently it's packed with really good stuff for you and your baby, like folic acid and choline.  I'm planning on sprinkling it on my PB&J sandwiches, but you can also cook it into breads, muffins, cakes, etc.  I've decided that I'm going to try and not get too obsessive about what I am, and am not, putting into my body (besides the major things of course, like caffeine).  I just want to be sure that I am being smart and providing the best environment possible for this little embryo.

Emotionally: excited, hopeful, cautious, a little stressed about work stuff & a bit lonely, missing Sean- wishing he was here during this time. Physically: bloated, sorry- TMI, really tired in the mornings, & I've had a runny nose since last week! The Mother book says that this is common- that the mucus membranes in your nose can swell when your body starts to produce more blood.  Hopefully this wont last for 9 months!